Holiday House Decorating Contest
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas with glistening snow, twinkling lights and green garland everywhere. Don’t miss out and enter your residence in this annual free contest to win great prizes! To enter, call the Park Office at 708-390-2401 by Monday, December 9. Judging will take place between 6:30-9:30p.m. on December 13 & 14. Contestants do not need to be present during judging. Displays must be lit during the stated hours. Winners will be notified by phone the week of December 16. Please, no decorations by professionals. Judging: December 13 & 14.
Group Exercise Open House
Have you always wanted to try a Group Exercise class but hesitate because you’re unsure whether you will like the class? The benefits of participating in group fitness are endless including but not limited to a fun social atmosphere, weekly variety with your workouts, camaraderie, motivating instructors & learning how to bust through exercise plateaus! Take advantage of this opportunity to try out a free class to see if it is the right fit for you! Note: Non-members don’t need to be present with a member to participate. Location: The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center
Wednesday, December 4, 2013 FREE
*Times of classes vary. Please refer to the current Oaks Group Exercise Schedule for class times and descriptions.
Phantom of the Opera - Cadillac Palace Theatre
Following an acclaimed sell-out tour of the United Kingdom, Cameron Mackintosh's spectacular new production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's phenomenal musical success, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, will make its premiere in Chicago as part of a brand new US National Tour. Hailed as "Stunning, intense and spectacular" by the Sunday Express, this production features a brilliant new design by Paul Brown, costumes by the much missed Maria Björnson, a new staging by Laurence Connor — director of the recent acclaimed 25th anniversary celebration at the Royal Albert Hall — and new choreography by Scott Ambler. The production is overseen by Matthew Bourne and Cameron Mackintosh.
Thursday, January 16, 2014 -
Departure: 6:00 p.m. from West Parking Lot, Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Return: 11:15 p.m. approx
Fee: $66 R/$71 NR (includes motorcoach transportation and lower balcony ticket)
Deadline: Thursday, January 2, 2014
Indoor Flea Market
Sunday, January 19, 2014 – Oaks Recreation Center (10847 W La Porte Rd) - 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Don’t let the unpredictable winter weather stop you from bargain shopping! Or maybe you are cleaning out after the holiday season and would like to get rid of your unwanted “treasures” before spring. Either way our Indoor Flea Market is the place for you!
- Registration fee of $30 for vendors. Buyers admitted free.
- All vendors must pre-register at the Park Office. There will be no on-site registration for the Indoor Flea Market as space is limited.
- Vendors will receive a 12’ X 12’ space in the Field House. Bring your own table(s).
- Check-in: 7:00 a.m.
- Vendor spaces are determined by Park District staff. Space is first-come, first-served.
- Registration deadline: Monday, January 13, 2014 (or while space lasts).
Mother & Son Valentine Bowl
Saturday, February 15, 2014 – Morgan’s Thunder Bowl (18700 South Old LaGrange Road) - 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
You might be wracking your brain to come up with the perfect gift for your mom, aunt or grandmother for Valentine’s Day but what better way to say 'I love you' then with the most romantic of all sports - bowling. It is a great way for mom and son to be together in a fun environment. Ages 5-10. Resident Fee of $35 per couple ($40NR); $15 each additional child ($20NR). Cost includes: unlimited bowling, shoes, pizza, pop, cake and gift. We can accommodate 6 per lane so if you want to bowl on the same lane, please specify at the time of registration. Pre-registration required by Saturday, February 1, 2014. No refunds for this event.
Showcase of Art
February 21-23, 2014 at The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center
Join us at the Annual Showcase of Art displaying the work of our talented students, including youth, teen, and adult students, enrolled in the many Park District art programs. From oils, acrylics, and watercolors, to sand castles and clay sculpture, you are sure to enjoy this diverse display of art and crafts. Friday, February 21 from 6:00-7:30 p.m. – “Meet the Artists Gallery Opening”. The exhibit will then remain open during the entire weekend for your viewing pleasure.
Anyone who has participated in an art or craft class at Mokena Park District in the past year is invited to display their artwork or projects that were completed while participating in one of the Park District classes, at the Showcase of Art February 21-23, 2014. Please call the Administration Center at (708) 390-2401 for more information.
Picnic Permits Now Available - Monday, March 3, 2014
Picnic Reservations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis for the 2014 season as of 9:00 a.m. on Monday, March 3, 2014 at the Administration Center.
Deadline: Friday, April 4, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Sharpen your crayons and enter this annual coloring contest at Mokena Park District. All entries must be turned in to the Administration Center or the Oaks Recreation Center by the deadline.
- Springtime Colorama contest forms will be available March 14, 2014. They can be picked up at the Administration Center or The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center.
- For boys and girls, age 4 through third grade. One entry per person.
- Only entries colored in crayon will be accepted. Please no markers, colored pencils or glitter.
- Entries must be COMPLETELY colored
- Late entries will not be accepted.
- Finalists for each age/grade division will be announced on Tuesday, April 8, 2014..
- All finalists will participate in a “color-off” at The Oaks Recreation Fitness Center on Friday, April 11, from 4:00-6:00 p.m. Crayons will be provided. Parents and siblings will not be allowed in the room with the finalists during the “color-off”.
- Winners will be announced on Wednesday, April 16, 2014.
- Finalists who are unable to participate in the “color-off” will not be judged.
Chicago Blackhawks vs. Carolina Hurrincanes - SOLD OUT
Trip just added!
Don’t miss this trip to see your very own 2013 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks play against the Carolina Hurricanes at the United Center!
Date: Friday, March 21, 2014
Fee: $75 (includes bus transportation and 300 level ticket)
Depart: 6:00p.m. from The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center (10847 La Porte Rd) Mokena
Return: 11:30p.m. approx
Deadline: Friday, March 14, 2014 (or while tickets last)
Saturday, March 22, 2014: 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Recreation Program Center, 10925 La Porte Rd., far south end of Parking lot.
Every little girl is a princess, and Dad, here’s your chance to treat her like one! A special date for just the two of you. An evening of dancing and special memories for you to share.
Refreshments and music will make this an evening of lasting memories. Don’t forget your cameras for that picture perfect, Father-Daughter moment. Age 5-10. No refunds for this event. Registration deadline: March 12, 2014
Fee: $29 per couple and $12 each additional child R/ $35 per couple $12 each additional NR.
Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 10:30 a.m.
Hip Hop Hooray! Our huggable, loveable bunny is bound to please children and adults alike. Come join the bunny at Aurelio’s Restaurant, 310 W. Lincoln Hwy., Frankfort. A buffet lunch of pizza, mostaccioli, salad, garlic bread, and soda is sure to make every bunny’s whiskers twitch. Fee includes lunch, entertainment, face painting and a special gift.
- If you would like to sit with another group you must notify the Administration Center at the time of registration either in person, by phone, or e-mail
- All attendees, regardless of age, must be pre-registered
- Registration cannot be taken at the restaurant the day of the event
- Under age 8 must be accompanied by an adult
- Fee of $12 per person due at registration (children under 2 are free but do not receive lunch or gift)
- No refunds for this event
- Registration deadline: Friday, April 4, 2014
- Fee: $13 per person R/$16 NR